Tag line

"In order to write about life, first you must live it." -Ernest Hemingway

Monday, January 3, 2011

So, this is the new year...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! Becky here! I know it's been a while, but Sam and I are ready to get back into the swing of things and start a whole new year of adventures! Hope you all had fun during the holidays and did some Go Getting of your own! While on our break, we still did a couple of really fun things that we were able to cross of our lists.

44. See a Cirque du Soleil show

Growing up, my family always went to see the Barnum & Bailey's Circus when it came to Philadelphia and I thought that was as cool as it would get. Boy was I wrong!! Sam was able to score some free tickets from work (best perks EVER!) and per usual, I jumped on board. After figuring out who got one of the 6 tickets and a little bit of sibling drama, we arrived at the Liacourus Center in Philadelphia. The show was called Dralion and was a mash-up of Chinese acrobatics and the typical Cirque Du Soleil ribbon twirling, contortionists, and even some double-dutch.

This is the only picture I was able to sneak. They were really strict about no photography.
But by far the coolest part of the entire show was the trampoline/wall climbing/anti-gravityish act! The show as a whole completely BLEW MY MIND! To this date, the best and coolest tickets Sam has gotten from work yet! I can't wait to see even more shows. I want to go out to Las Vegas and see The Beatles: Love soooo bad!! 

45. Go to a swanky New Years Eve party in New York City

Whenever I think of a HUGE New Years Eve party, I automatically think of the ball dropping in Times Square in New York City. I mean, come on, how many of us have grown up on Dick Clark's NYE special? I always thought it would be so cool to experience that in person. But...I get extremely claustrophobic (as you learned in the post about the Presidential Inauguration), so this posed some difficulties. The more I thought about it, an extravagant/luxurious/swanky NYE party represented that same magic and excitement that Times Square did (without all the crowds and having to be sober), so that's what I went for! A group of friends joined me, making it unforgettable! After navigating the NYC subway system, we arrived at CAPITALE in the lower-east side. As we walked up, everyone was dressed just as I expected (the girls in cocktail dresses and the guys in three-piece suits!). The building itself was absolutely breathtaking! Since I'm a sucker for architecture, my friend Gabby only allotted me 5 statements complimenting the design and style because she didn't want to hear about it all night. I was able to contain myself.

This was the ballroom that the party was held. Gorgeous right?
(picture from CAPITALE website)



We ended up paying a hefty price for the tickets. However, I will be keeping the price a mystery to all of you. But it was worth it!! We danced the night away, enjoyed the open bar (obviously!), and celebrated New Years Eve the way it was meant to be celebrated. Even though it was pricey, I had a BLAST and wouldn't have changed a thing. Okay, maybe a thing or two, but that will also remain a mystery to you!
We even had light up glasses!
If you ever have a chance to celebrate NYE in NYC, I highly recommend that you do! The energy in the city was like nothing I've ever experienced before. Definitely a magical night, worthy of kicking off what will hopefully be an amazing year!

Did anyone make a New Years resolution? We'd love to hear it! I've actually decided to be a little different with my resolution this time around and start a year long project. But you won't be able to see it until next year, so you're going to have to stick around!!



Update from Sam: My New Year's resolution is to learn to drive in Philly! I hate driving in cities, but I can drive everywhere else; over bridges, in other cities like Boston and Albany...but I have so far refused to drive in Philadelphia. But I need to grow up and stop being a baby and just do it so I don't have to rely on everyone else to give me a ride haha. What are your resolutions??

Let us know and until next time,
good luck exploring the infinite abyss.

Love always,
The Go Getters

No comments:

Post a Comment